Ordinance FAQ

What is the Water Conservation Ordinance?

Visit the El Paso, Texas Code of Ordinances to view the El Paso Texas Municipal Code - Water Conservation

How do I report a water restriction violation?

To report a violation call (915) 594-5508. You can also visit our Report Water Waste page here.


How can I conserve more water at home?

For information on how you can make a difference and conserve water visit our Conservation page at
El Paso Water | Water Conservation.


I found a blue hanger on my door what does that mean?

You were observed violating the Water Conservation ordinance:

  • Watering on the wrong day
    • EVEN number addresses are permitted to water on Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday. ODD numbered addresses are permitted to water on Wednesday, Friday or Sunday.
  • Watering at the wrong time of day
    • From April 1 to September 30, watering is prohibited between 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
  • Washing your vehicle
    • Use the hose only for quick rinses and be sure it has a positive shut off nozzle.
  • Water was observed flowing into the street
    • This is a waste of water which can be a traffic safety hazard and cause damage to the street pavement.
  • You have a water leak
    • Leaks need to be repaired within five working days.

What if I am unable to fix my water leak within 5 working days?

If you are unable to fix a water leak within 5 working days, you must call El Paso Water Conservation Department at (915) 594-5508 to request an extension.


What is a water landscape-watering permit?

These permits allow the customer to water as needed; however, water is never to be allowed to run into the street. It is the customer's responsibility to call the Water Conservation Department at (915) 594-5508 to request permits.

Landscape Watering Permits:

  • 30-day permits are granted for the establishment of new lawns.
  • One-day permits are granted for the application of either chemicals or fertilizer.

Landscape permits and chemical permits will be limited when drought restrictions are in effect.

What is a water variance?

If a customer desires a change in irrigation days and hours, it is the customer's responsibility to apply for a variance and demonstrate hardship by contacting the Water Conservation Department at (915) 594-5508. 

A Review Board can modify established schedules or approve requests for variances. Variances are based on the Review Board's recommendations and are usually granted to customers that, because of age or health, depend on someone else to do yard work, or for those out-dated irrigation systems that can't irrigate within the allotted time.

All variances are discontinued during water emergencies and drought Stages 2 and 3.


I have a watering variance and permit why did I receive this?

Please disregard the notice if a watering permit was recently issued.


El Paso Water | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2018 West Corporation